Access Practitioner Group (APG) Meetings provide an opportunity for staff working in colleges as tutors and managers to come together and share views and discuss best practice across the region. Your LASER Access Officers are also present and we try to have a lead theme for each meeting. We hold APGs in the Autumn and Spring terms and we hold them at a least four separate venues across the region to ensure that colleagues are able to attend at least one.
You can download the APG discussion points and notes below:
Autumn 2016 – Access Practitioner Group discussion points and notes
We would like to encourage as many members as possible of Access teams to come to each meeting. They provide a valuable staff development opportunity and there is no fee for attendance.
Details of the Spring Term meetings are.
- Monday 6 March, 10am-1pm, Mid-Kent College, Medway Campus, Gillingham
- Tuesday 7 March, 10am-1pm, Portsmouth College
- Thursday 9 March, 2pm-5pm, Sussex Downs College, Lewes Campus
- Monday 13 March, 10am-1pm, The College of Sir Richard Collyer, Horsham
- Thursday 16 March, 11am-2pm, Comptsai Training Solutions, Bletchley, Milton Keynes
The LASER 2017 annual Access Conference event will be held on Friday 7 July from 10am until 4pm at Woburn House, 20-24 Tavistock Square, London, WC1H 9HQ
This year’s conference title is: “Access to HE in an age of uncertainty” and will feature a mix of keynote speakers, workshop and plenary sessions and will include the presentation of the LASER Access to HE Student Prize.
The full agenda and confirmation of speakers will be released shortly.
LASER has developed assessment and grading training for tutors. The training is available to be delivered onsite as a half day session for £250 including training packs pre-prepared for each staff member attending. All you need to provide is a suitable room and refreshments.
During the session the Access Quality Manager will work with teaching staff to:
- Confirm a common approach to assessment, using existing support materials available from LASER.
- Share good practice and identify key areas for development within the team in order to develop a clear and standardised approach to the use of grading in assessment.
- Review the centre’s current Access course assessment regulations, with a specific focus on grading and re-submissions, to ensure consistency of approach.
Internal moderation training is currently under development and if you would be interested in this or have any other areas you would like a training session on, please contact the Access office.